Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Short Term Missons with a Purpose

Everyone is going on short term missions. It seems to be the rage among American Christians. In one way it is a good thing, that so many people are reaching out beyond themselves and desiring to see the Kingdom of God expand. I am praying about and waiting for papers from Russia that will allow me to visit Russia this March. It will be my second trip there, and the first on my own. I will not be alone; my daughter is going with me.

We will visit the Republic of Udmurtia. It is 500 miles east of Moscow. Our fellowship (remember we are the Church, while where we gather is a fellowship), has been connected to an evangelistic work in the city of Izhevsk. Many of our people, old and young, have been there over the last three years. God has put us together with this work, and we are blessed beyond measure in being a part of the church-planting (excuse me, fellowship planting) that is furiously happening there.

In an effort to spell out a purpose for going, so I can keep it all straight, I have come up with these thoughts, with scriptures (heavily dependant on Acts) on why I want to go to Russia for a two week visit:

Reasons to go to Russia:

  • See, learn, experience – Acts 10:19
    • See things I won’t see here.
  • See “First Love” – Rev 2:4
    • What does it look like? We have been together so long, we have forgotten it. It is very common is Russia.
  • Speak to the Bible School – 2 Tim 2:2
    • They are a precious group of people.
  • Give encouragement – Acts 14:22
    • Visit last year’s Bible school grads where they are now. Many are working now, and I want to visit them to see how they are doing.
  • Teach/Be with young – 1 John 2:12
    • May daughter wants to reach the orphans and other children
  • Minister substance – Acts 20:20, 2 Tim 3:15
    • Not just messages. I want there to be substance in the words, words that have weight, and reason and purpose. I want the words I say to make a difference.
  • See people saved (young and old) – Acts 16:30
    • Not just responding to an invitation, but see a person come to the end of their self. I want to see someone say, “What must I do to be saved”?
  • Divine appointments – Acts 8:25
    • Right after one meeting last year, I gathered with the praise group after the service, and felt there was a need to say something they needed to hear. I knew what it was, but didn't have all the words I needed (very frustrating). Places and times to minister might be any time. And now I feel better prepared, I have a special word for a praise group. I hope to be able to share with many of the people who minister in music.
  • See God’s sovereignty over evil – Mat 4:16
    • There are places where evil seems to have total control over people. God has the ultimate authority over all of those places. He is in control of them. The enemy needs to be driven out, though, as in the illustration of the Promised Land. We can’t think that the giants in the land will defeat us. That would be a lack of faith.
  • Report back all that God had done – Acts 15:4

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home