Thursday, February 23, 2006

Taken in by a Theologian

I got caught trying to speak to a theologian. I forgot I was not on his level. I should have known better. In this series of posts on 1 Peter I spent 3 days wondering what in the world this man saw in Peter that I was missing. His posts had no apparent grounding in the text, although so many people drooled all over his insights. I was more mystified than anything. What was going on here?

Then on the 3rd day (no pun intended), the light dawned. I got roped into a discussion that was really an agenda driven appeal to his base, like a politician. It was the sound of an axe grinding in the background that I missed. How could I have been so...so...foolish. Here is what I posted, incase it gets deleted from his website (name withheld):


Ok, Mr. ---, I see now. I was reading your posts under a naïve assumption. I thought you might have seen something about Peter that I had missed, so I was sincerely reading to gain insight. All the while, stumped with an inner sense of frustration over something I couldn’t put my finger on. But, when I saw the words Heaven Hope capitalized, I got a stunned feeling I was being had. These are buzz-words.

Here was a theologian with an agenda (surprise, surprise!). This was no honest re-examining of Peter, but an appeal to a base, like a politician. I am disappointed. I am sorry for the trouble I spent thinking through this. I am not a fundamentalist. I am not a dispensationalist. But I felt slapped, and I didn’t know why.

I am really more upset with myself than you. This is a learning experience, and I will be more vigilant when running across “new” insights. You have served an unexpected lesson. Thank you.
I was helped in this by looking through 2 Peter, chapter 2.:
2Pe 2:3 and in their greed they will exploit you with false words;

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home